Thursday, May 20, 2010

Poker and I


I grew up having horses at my home most of the time. I enjoyed riding bareback, seeing where the trail in front of me led to. I had lessons here and there, rode some western and some english style. I was told that I was a good rider. I dont know about that, but I do know I was good at staying on top of the horse. After I was married, there were many years where I didnt ride or spend time with horses at all. I was reunited with this enjoyable activity through Equine Therapy. I had been seeing a therapist who uses horses to help people sort out thier mental and emotion challanges. The farm where she holds these sessions has some ex racehorses. This is where I met my horse Poker. When we met, he was just as emotionally challanged as I was. He was shutdown emotionally from the stress at the racetrack. He was not the horse I used in my sessions, but I had noticed him off in his own pasture. As I was at the farm more and more, I wanted to do something with him. I decided to do one of the excersises I had done with the therapist and another horse. We went into a 70' round pen, moved the horse around, then ask the horse to stop and come to us. This is sometimes refered to as "joining up". At the time I didnt understand what was happening when I let Poker loose and he became a whirlwind around and around the pen, jumping, bucking and working himself into lather in a few short minutes. I now know it was all about how anxious he was. What I did wonder was "what have I done?" Shortly there after, the owner of the farm gave me some learning material to use. It was from the Parelli's. As I went through the information and started to put it into practice with Poker, I became more and more excited with the results. I attended a couple of clinics that were held and the farm and became hooked on understanding and communicting with the horses. Eventually I decided that I would learn enough that I could teach horses and people as a way of earning a living. It is now 4 years later and I am teaching horses and people, part time. The learning is fun. I have a lot of satisfaction in seeing the horses and their people improve thier relationship. I continue my education every day as I watch the horses interact. I continue to take lessons, often, for myself. This journey has changed how I live each day. There is nothing like being with our horses to keep us aware and in the present.

1 comment:

  1. Kudos! Off and running! I love the photo of you and Poker - just a couple of guys, amblin' along.

    ReplyDelete